Skip to main content

'Heritage' is what we inherit from the past, live with in the present and then pass on to our children or future generation.

 'Heritage' is what we inherit from the past, live with in the present and then pass on to our children or future generation. Our unique source of life and inspiration is our cultural and natural heritage. When we speak of 'World Heritage', it indicates places and sites that we inherited from the past and pass on to the future generation of the entire world.

The 'Shat Gambuj Mosque' in Bagerhat is such a heritage. It became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1985.

Originally, the historic Mosque City was known as 'Khalifatabad'. It is situated at the outskirts of Bagerhat town—not very far from the dense mangrove forest of the Sundarbans. Khalifatabad was a Muslim colony. It was founded by the Turkish general, a saint warrior Ulugh Khan Jahan in the 15th century. The infrastructure of the city reveals significant technical skills in many mosques as well as early Islamic monuments. Baked bricks were used for the construction of the buildings. The planning of the city was dominated by the tradition of Islamic architecture and the decorations were a combination of Mughal and Turkish architecture.

Khan Jahan built a network of roads, bridges, public buildings and reservoirs to make the city habitable. There were about 360 mosques in the city. Among them the most remarkable is the multi-domed Shat Gambuj Mosque. The mosque is unique in the sense that it has 60 pillars that support the roof, with 77 low height domes. The 4 towers at 4 corners have smaller domes at the top as well. The vast prayer hall has 11 arched doorways on the east and 7 each on the north and south for light and ventilation. It has 7 aisles running along the length of the mosque and 11 deep curves between the slender stone columns. These columns support the curving arches created by the domes. The thickness of the arches is 6 feet and have slightly narrowing hollow and round wall.

The west wall in the interior has 11 'mihrabs' (niche in the mosque pointing towards Makkah). These mihrabs are decorated with stonework and terracotta. The floor of the mosque is made of brick.

Besides being used as a prayer hall, Khan Jahan used the mosque as his court too. Today, it is one of the greatest tourist attractions and one of the best architectural beauties of Bangladesh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY Reviews

 1.  Mulla Enterprise ⭐ Review 1 “Amazing experience working with Mullah Enterprise! Their communication was clear from the beginning, and they delivered exactly what they promised. I really appreciated the professionalism and timely updates. Highly recommended for anyone looking for reliable service!” ⭐ Review 2 “I rarely leave reviews, but Mullah Enterprise truly deserves one. They handled everything smoothly and answered all my questions patiently. The quality of their work is excellent, and you can tell they really care about customer satisfaction. I’ll definitely come back again!” ⭐ Review 3 “From the first conversation to the final delivery, the whole process felt easy and stress-free. Mullah Enterprise has a great team — honest, responsive, and very knowledgeable. I’m super happy with the result. Keep up the great work!” ⭐ Review 4 “I had a wonderful experience! The service was fast, friendly, and exactly what I needed. What impressed me most was their attention to ...

Google ads conversion with buyer

1)  Client (Buyer): Hi! I run a fashion business, and I’m planning to launch Google Ads to promote my new three-piece collection. Do you run Google Ads campaigns? "Sure, I can help you with that! I have experience in running Google Ads campaigns, particularly for fashion businesses. I can create targeted ads to boost your three-piece collection and bring more visitors to your store. Could you please share your website or tell me your campaign goals?"  2)  Client (Buyer): Thanks! My main goal is to increase sales and bring more traffic to my website. I want to target women aged 20–40 in Dhaka. Can you also suggest the best type of ad for this? "For your goal, I recommend using Google Search Ads. These ads appear when people actively search for products like yours — such as 'three-piece for women in Dhaka.' It’s a great way to target potential buyers who are already interested in your product. I’ll also help you choose the right keywords and write compelling ad co...

26 March, our Independence Day

  26 March, our Independence Day, is the one of the most important state festival. The day is celebrated every year in the country with great enthusiasm and fervour. It is a national holiday. All offices, educational institutions, shops and factories remain closed on this day. The day begins with a 31 gun salute. Early in the morning the President and the Prime Minister, on behalf of the nation place floral wreaths at the National Mausoleum at Savar. Then other leaders, political parties, diplomats, social and cultural organisations, educational institutions and freedom fighters pay homage to the martyrs. People from all walks of life also go there in rallies and processions. There are many cultural programmes throughout the day, highlighting the heroic struggle and sacrifice in 1971. In Bangabandhu National Stadium, school children, scouts and girl guides take part in various displays to entertain thousands of spectators. Educational institutions also organise their individual pro...